Focaccia For Little Fingers + Montessori For Mom Life I Hill Country Homestead Texas
Invite the kid’s together in the kitchen for this fun and healthy family recipe and give them a choice of healthy toppings. Let them poke their fingers in the focaccia dough and feel how sticky and fluffy the dough is. Cooking with kids in the kitchen empowers them to care for themselves and helps them to make healthy food choices through education. Making food a hands on multi-sensory experience for young children is good for their motor skills, confidence, self-care and overall character. Also, it’s just plain fun! We choose to bake using only sourdough based recipes in our home because we believe this is the way the Lord intended bread to be made! This recipe can be altered to use quick rising yeast and it will be just as much fun.
Basic Sourdough Foccaccia : Start in the Morning for an evening bake or start the night before to refrigerate dough overnight
Makes: 8 Dinner Servings
- 180 grams of fed sourdough starter
- 480 grams of water
- 20 grams of olive oil
- 600 grams of bread flower
- 40 grams of spelt flour or whole wheat flour
- 14 grams of sea salt
- Toppings that suit your family tastebuds. We like red sauce, cheese, olives and bell pepper!
- Mix all ingredients together with a stand mixer or by hand
- Turn out the kkneadable dough ball on a table or in a bowl to rise
- Leave dough on bowl or table for 2 hours, knead it every 30 minutes during this time
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours
- Remove dough from fridge and turn out on a well floured surface
- Cut in half and flatten onto 2 rectangular tray or press it all onto one large rectangular tray
- Use fingertips to make indentations in the dough
- Add all desired toppings
- Let stand at room temperature for one hour to get puffy, preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degree, then turn down to 430 degrees
- Rotate tray and bake at 430 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden and crispy
- Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!